Saturday, November 15, 2014

Adventures with Non-Fat Dry Milk

One of the first things I always run out of, and pretty much the driving force that gets me to the store each week, is milk.  What if I didn't have to rely on the store?  What if I had some backup milk that could be stored at room temperature for many, many years?

I bought some milk at the church cannery this week to test it out.   Brother Williams said the church put a lot of effort into making this some high-quality milk, but it is so cheap I didn't think it could possibly be good.  

This is a 28 oz. pouch.  My children were very excited because there are cookies on the label.  (They are easily swayed by advertising.)

Each pouch makes 29 cups of milk, or 1.81 gallons.  The pouch costs $5.40, so this is going to be about $3 per gallon.  It lasts for 20 years.  

So last night I decided to make some and put it in a rinsed-out milk jug to see if I could fool anyone.  I pulled out a pitcher and measured two quarts of cold water.  Then I whisked in 1 1/2 cups of powdered milk.  My husband walked in while I was doing this.  I was hoping he wouldn't see, as I wanted a fair and honest test.  

He groaned.  He said his mom used to do the same thing and they all hated it.  The smell was very powdered milk-like.  I didn't want to be "that mom" making my children drink something they will later complain about when they are adults.  

It took a bit of whisking to get it to the perfect consistency.   I didn't want a single lump to give away the plot.  I poured it in the milk jug.  

The ladies at the cannery promised me it was good milk, but one of them cautioned me to be sure it was refrigerated overnight for an optimal experience.  I asked Brian if he wanted to try some right then.  He said he'd rather wait for the optimal experience.  I poured some in a cup.  I hesitated before the milk touched my lips.  (I am really weird about milk.)  I took a tiny taste.... and even at less-than-optimal temperature.... it tasted just like milk.

Brian was encouraged by my example, and also took a sip.  He too, was surprised by this milk's delicate flavor.  I placed the milk jug in the fridge to reach optimal temperature before the true test.

I was going to take a picture of the milk in its jug while the children enjoyed their breakfast, completely oblivious to my sneaky ways, but.... it's all gone.  Nobody said a word.  

I don't know if I'll ever have the ability to store 60 pounds of dry milk per person as recommended... but I do know that this is the milk I'll be storing.  It is $3 per pound in the pouch, or $2.39 per pound in bulk (25 pound bags), but then must be packaged correctly to last the full 20 years.  If you package it yourself it costs $12.10 per 4.1 lb can, which works out to $2.95 per pound.  I will probably just buy the pouches rather than canning it myself at the cannery because the price is so close and the pouches are very space efficient.  And also, because my kids think they are cookies.  

If you are feeling especially lazy and do not want to drive to the cannery, you can also order straight from the church and pay only $3.50 in shipping.  I love our church.  Website here.  

3 comments:

  1. This is so good to know! Thanks for doing all the hard work and research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your clever writing style! SO cute!!
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete